Thursday, December 29, 2011

why i quit my job as the CDC in Phoenixville

(written in the style of my food blog used to be written to give it some level of authenticity)

I am one of the few public officials that can usually make my own salary through administration on grants.  don't think anyone does is better...

i encountered on of the weirdest situations in Phoenixville that i had ever encountered in my life.  i had a borough manager that really was not very good at what he did.  he did not file audits...and when he did file an audit he did not understand them and filed them incorrectly...he did not know the difference between a single audit (federal) and a project audit (state).  this inability to understand basic concepts got him fired at my behest...and eventually lead to money problems for the organization because i could not access grants...he had us on the restricted list for over a year, maybe two...it was a nightmare. 

so fast forward a year or so and i was the director of the parking authority in phoenixville.  i changed up the parking and it did not allow for residents to park in front of the stores all day without moving.  my program made them move their cars.  it worked...and created parking for the customers.  the residents got angry and went to council.  about that time a great guy left as council president and the ex-borough managers friend became council president.  at his urging, they appointed the guy i got fired to my parking authority board...I quit immediately by text to  manny demutis.

i stood in front of the council for at least 45 minutes that night and gave a report ,which featured an assurance that the parking meters did not contain nuclear clock which could have been deemed dangerous.  knowing i had already quit...i felt a quiet relief knowing this was the last time i would be in front of this cast of characters.

this was a political attack..plain and simple.  but i was used to it...i stood up to vince fumo while on south street and others throughout my career.  it is not easy to intimidate me.

after i left, the council issued a reprimand to me for anonymous comments left on my personal blog.  someone left a nasty anonymous comment on my personal  blog and then there were anonymous comments left by other anonymous characters attacking the original commentor.  all of a sudden i received an email from the the first anonymous verbal attacker.  realizing i should apologize...although i thought the reason for leaving anonymous comments was to remain anonymous, this person decided to come out of the closet so to speak.  i posted the e mail chastising me along with an apology and it used the person's real name.  i thought i was doing the right thing but in hindsight i could see the person's concern.  but really as part of conducting a hate campaign against me, the person should expect it.

i stood in front of council for 45 minutes that night and it never came up.  perhaps they did not want to face me and wanted to issue the reprimand and get me to react.  pretty weak if you ask me...but then again i thought appointing someone i proved to be incompetent to my board pretty weak.  but hey...it is their right...

so the subsequent reporting by a hack reporter for the Pottstown Mercury misrepresented the incident.  the mercury would not print a retraction and gave me a correction on like page 9 or something.  when i gave a release to the local newspaper...the Phoenix...the incident was not reported correctly because the editor was afraid she would misspell the ex-bough managers name...again pretty weak.

i was asked to not respond further by my superiors and i acquiesced to their request,  thought i would clear the air now...so here it is.

taught me not to believe everything i read in the newspaper. 

1 comment:

  1. Barry, at the top of this page, in your one-line biography, you state: "I am a good guy." To that, I would add, "and a self-aware guy". You are a good guy, and it was always a pleasure dealing with you at your CDC office on Bridge Street.
    Greg Myers

    ReplyDelete