Monday, December 19, 2011

how i became a democrat

when i was born my parents never gave me a middle name.  it was always said that at the time of confirmation i could take my own name.  after thoughtful 10 year old type thoughts i came up with "john" as my middle name.  no particular reason...just liked john.

so let's fast forward to the ride to the church...my dad behind the wheel asks me what my name will be.  i say john...he absolutely flips out on me saying that his brother is named john and he did not like his brother and i could not use the name.   there was no changing the name at that point we were hours away and they needed the names months in advance so the bishop could get his list together. (he slaps you in the face and they yell a name in the background).

so this is november 8th 1960 and it is election day kennedy versus nixon.  i pipe up..."dad i am choosing john for john f kennedy", my dad goes silent.  then my sponsor angelo lombardi spoke up while sitting next to me in the back seat.  he said "Pete (my dad's name), not only is he going to be a man in the eyes of the catholic church today...he is also now a democrat".  and so it was then and has been for 51 years.

and...here is the gift he gave me that day. a silver id bracelet.  with my name on the front and his name on the back with the date 11-08-60

No comments:

Post a Comment